Connect with us

Cricket News

Bans stay intact on Smith, Warner and Bancroft, CA confirmed

Steve Smith and David Warner

Cricket Australia (CA) got together to decide on the plea of Australian Cricketer’s Association. They had demanded to bring back Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft before the suspension periods. For their involvement in ball-tampering in South Africa, Smith and Warner were banned for a year while Bancroft was suspended for 9 months.

But CA has decided that the bans on the tainted trio will remain. The Board released an official statement in which it termed lifting the bans as inappropriate. As a result, the 3 won’t be available for the series against India at home. The ban on Bancroft ends on December 29, 2018, while Warner and Smith can make a return only after March 29, 2019.

Also Read: India vs Australia, 1st T20, Match Prediction

The official statement of CA

“The Cricket Australia Board has carefully considered all elements of the ACA submission and has determined that it is not appropriate to make any changes to the sanctions handed down to the three players,” CA Interim Chair Earl Eddings said.

“Despite the absence of any recommendation regarding the sanctions in the recently released Ethics Centre Review, the Board has deliberated on the ACA’s submission at length. We have reconsidered the sanctions as they apply to each of Steve, David and Cameron in light of the ACA’s submission and the Ethics Centre Review and Recommendations.

“The original decision of the Board to sanction the players was determined after rigorous discussion and consideration. CA maintains that both the length and nature of the sanctions remain an appropriate response in light of the considerable impact on the reputation of Australian cricket, here and abroad,” Eddings said.

“Steve, David and Cameron are working hard to demonstrate their commitment to cricket and have our continued support to ensure their pathway to return is as smooth as possible.

“We believe the ongoing conversation about reducing the sanctions puts undue pressure on the three players – all of whom accepted the sanctions earlier this year – and the Australian men’s cricket team. As such, the Cricket Australia Board doesn’t intend to consider further calls for amendments to the sanctions.

“Though we recognise that this decision will be disappointing for the ACA, we thank them for their submission. Our commitment to continue building a strong relationship between CA and the ACA in the interests of cricket in Australia remains and we look forward to meeting with them shortly to that end,” Eddings added.

 

Also Read: Will be surprised if Kohli doesn’t get involved in altercations, says Pat Cummins

Stay updated with all the cricketing action, follow Cricadium on FacebookTwitter and Instagram

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Test 1st Test 13:30 PM 22 August 2019
IND 297(96.4)
WI 8-189(59.0)

Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground, Antigua

Stumps

Test 2nd Test 04:15 AM 22 August 2019
NZ 0-0(0)
SL 6-144(66.0)

P Sara Oval, Colombo

Stumps

Test 3rd Test 10:00 AM 22 August 2019
AUS 179 & 6-171(52.1 & 57.0)
ENG 67(27.5)

Headingley, Leeds

Stumps

Tour 10:00 AM 29 August 2019
AUS 0-0(0)
DER 0-0(0)

County Ground, Derby

UPCOMING

Test 2nd Test 14:30 PM 30 August 2019
IND 0-0(0)
WI 0-0(0)

Sabina Park, Jamaica

UPCOMING

T20 Intl 1st T20I 13:30 PM 01 September 2019
NZ 0-0(0)
SL 0-0(0)

R. Premadasa Stadium, Colombo

UPCOMING

T20 Intl 2nd T20I 13:30 PM 03 September 2019
NZ 0-0(0)
SL 0-0(0)

R. Premadasa Stadium, Colombo

UPCOMING

Test 4th Test 10:00 AM 04 September 2019
AUS 0-0(0)
ENG 0-0(0)

Old Trafford, Manchester

UPCOMING

No completed match yet!

Most Viewed

Like us at Blogadda

More in Cricket News